Cryptography is the practice of developing protocols that prevent third parties from viewing private data.
What is the key concept of cryptography? Encryption։ a process whereby a message is encoded in a format so that it cannot be read or understood by an unauthorized party.
How many methods does cryptography have? Cryptography has 2 methods:
- Symmetric cryptography is a ‘simple’ form of cryptography which uses a single key to encrypt and decrypt data
- Asymmetric cryptography uses key pairs (public and private keys), in order to encrypt and decrypt data. Particularly, a sender encrypts data with the receiver’s public key and only the holder of the private key can decrypt this data.
- The cryptographic algorithm used in Bitcoin is called elliptic curve cryptography.
- Public keys are widely distributed, while private keys are kept secret.
- An early example of cryptography was the Caesar cipher, used by Julius Caesar to protect Roman military secrets.